mission statementIn an effort to inspire South Carolinians to remember and to learn from the Holocaust, and as a response to the creation of the Columbia Holocaust Memorial Monument, the Columbia Holocaust Education Commission is dedicated to promoting awareness of the Monument and fostering Holocaust education throughout South Carolina.
Midlands Gives 2020
- The Selden K. Smith Foundation for Holocaust Education is excited to be participating in Midlands Gives, a nonprofit
fundraising challenge that takes place online during an 18-hour giving window each year. Donations to the Foundation
during this time help preserve the memory of the Holocaust and educate future generations about it. The Foundation will
continue to promote tolerance and justice for all. This is the only fundraising campaign that the SKS Foundation participates
in, so please consider giving during this time no matter where you are located. Every donation helps us to reach our goal of
promoting Holocaust education throughout the state. We thank you in advance for your support.
Click here for more information
75th Anniversary of Aushwitz Liberation Commemoration program
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day was designated by The United Nations General Assembly to commemorate the liberation of
Auschwitz-Birkenau in 1945. On this day, we honor the six million Jewish victims of the Holocaust and millions of other victims of
Nazism and recommit ourselves to developing educational programs that help prevent future genocides.
Click here for video footage of the Commemoration
The Holocaust Remembered Exhibit Catalogue
- The recently published catalogue is a perfect accompaniment to the Holocaust Remembered Exhibit. It is a 40 page catalogue filled with images and stories of South Carolina Survivors and Liberators. The catalogue has each of the 24 panels of the exhibit replicated,comments by the creators of the the exhibit , explanation of the various themes of the exhibit and National and Statewide Resources for Holocaust Education. We invite you to add this to your personal collection or school library. The Columbia Holocaust Education Commission is offering this catalogue for a minimum donation of $18.
New Resource: SC Voices: Lessons from the Holocaust
- We have added a new link on our resource page titled "Knowitall.org | SC Voices: Lessons from the Holocaust". Here you view interviews of South Carolinians who survived the Holocaust and those who liberated the concentration camps or witnessed the atrocities that took place.
- To view the link please head over to our resource page or click here.
holocaust remembered exhibit
- Holocaust Remembered is an unique Holocaust Exhibit that tells the personal stories of SC Survivors and Liberators. This exhibit was created to honor the memories of the survivors, liberators and all victims of the Holocaust. The lesson in teaching the Holocaust is to remember…
- A portable exhibit is now available for loan. Click Here to download the form.